What is an empath?
An empath is a person who is often labelled as being highly sensitive and can be considered to be an emotional person. Rightly so due to their natural and, in most cases, unconscious ability to sense the energies of other people, places, events and situations.
So highly attuned are empaths that not only can they perceive the vibe of another person, place, event or situation they also have a “knowing” of the others motivations and intentions as well as whether the truth is being spoken.
More importantly an empath can physically experience what is happening around them thus taking on and exhibiting the energy of that. This can include displaying traits, emotions or ailments of another person whom they have encountered. Unknowingly doing so in order to make things easier for the other person due to their dislike of seeing others in pain or distress.
Empaths often walk the less than easy road in life, meaning they don’t tend to learn their lessons easily and repeat the same learning opportunities several times. They tend to lack awareness of their beautiful giving trait which results in them often giving their energy to the wrong people, consequently they feel disappointed in the human kind and/or finding themselves drained of energy.
Empaths can feel overwhelmed by social events and definitely by crowds of people, so then can withdrawal to the safety of home consequently feeling lonely.
Lessons for the Empath
- Not everyone thinks or acts like you, yet remember society needs kind people like you
- Know your boundaries, what you are willing to and NOT to accept from others
- Give to yourself first so your overflow, rather than your prime energy is given to others
- Give only to those who are deserving, those who appreciate what you do for them and those who raise your vibration
- It isn’t your job to save others, it is theirs! You can love and support others and know the importance of them taking responsibility for themselves and their acitons.
- Know what feelings, thoughts, actions are yours…and what is not, remembering that it is easy for you to take on others energy and display their traits. So when you don’t feel yourself, cleanse your energy.
- Your soul craves creative time, in whatever form that is suitable to you. For some this is painting, drawing, writing, dancing or meditation yet it can also be how what you wear.
- Grounding, cleansing and protection is important for you, like brushing your teeth you need to do this daily!
Awareness is the first step to making any change, next is making the decision to change and commitment to that decision. Now start by taking modest yet consistent actions, for it is the accumulation of such modest actions that equates to major change.